Monday, July 31, 2006

Chemistry Guide.

I'm kinda LAME for today.
LAME, as in I couldn't really walk properly.
Think my calf muscle happily knotted itself up, due to what reason I don't know.
So there was no way I could make it to that frigging school of mine.

& I really ought to stop slacking & start working hard,
which means more mugging & less solitaire showdowns. ):

Chem prac's tomorrow.
When tested with aqueous sodium hydroxide,
No reaction -- Ammonium ion
White ppt -- Zinc / lead(II) / aluminium ion (soluble in excess) OR Calcium ion (insoluble in excess)
Blue ppt -- Copper (II) ion
Dirty green ppt -- Iron (II) ion
Reddish-brown ppt -- Iron (III) ion

When tested with aqueous ammonia,
No reaction -- Ammonium / Calcium ion
White ppt -- Lead (II) / Aluminium ion (soluble in excess) OR Zinc ion (insoluble in excess)
Blue ppt -- Copper (II) ion
Dirty green ppt -- Iron (II) ion
Reddish-brown ppt -- Iron (III) ion


To test for nitrates, add dilute sodium hydroxide. Add aluminium powder. Warm, & test for gas.
If ammonia gas is produced, there will be a pungent smell & it will turn red litmus paper blue.

To test for carbonates, add HCl & test for carbon dioxide by bubbling the gas into limewater.
(I like this 'cause it's like the easiest. Hee.)

To test for chlorides, add dilute nitric acid. Then add aqueous silver nitrate. A white ppt (silver chloride) should form.

To test for iodides, add dilute nitric acid. Then add aqueous silver nitrate. A yellow ppt should be formed.

To form for sulphates, add HCl followed by aqueous barium chloride. A white ppt (barium sulphate) should form.

Yaye. I shall not drone on about the Testing Gases part. Haha.
Lalala, & yes,
To Mr Rubbish:
My slurpee, cookies & BBQ chicken wings! Lol. (:

Last thing:
I can't wait for Wednesday's training, even though it's like the last training before open water nationals this Sunday. Mmm. ><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home